- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Church, businesses set up pop-up homeless shelter as winter storm approaches (1/12/18)1
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
- Poultry in motion: 4-H participants take first in nation with barbecue skills (1/13/18)1
- Cape man wins Scratchers lottery top prize (1/12/18)
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
Storytelling is a fascinating art, and one that people in this area have been able to enjoy close to home in recent years.
During the last five years, Cape Girardeau has played host to three-day festivals in April featuring national talent. While attendance early on was respectable, participation has declined during the last couple of years.
With an effort to reach more people and provide a more climate-controlled setting, this year's plan is to hold events throughout the year at the Bedell Performance Hall at the Southeast Missouri State University River Campus. The first event, "An Evening with Donald Davis and Delores Hydock," will be at 7 p.m. Friday. Two other performances are tentatively planned for May and September.
Dr. Joel Rhodes, history professor at Southeast and co-producer of the event, recently told the Southeast Missourian that Davis has been a big draw during past festivals in Cape Girardeau. This will be the first appearance in Cape Girardeau for Hydock, who Rhodes called a "gifted storyteller."
Tickets, which are general admission, are $12 for adults and $5 for children, and may be purchased at the River Campus box office, by calling 651-2265 or online at rivercampusevents.com.