- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Three file for two seats on Scott City, Chaffee school boards
At least two Scott County school districts will see contested races for board seats in April's election.
Three candidates filed for two seats on the Scott City and Chaffee, Mo., school boards before filing closed Tuesday. In Scott City, Gary Elders, Bobby Underwood and Lisa Schaefer will battle for two seats. In Chaffee, Christopher Johnson, Pete Dooley and Lori Whistler are vying for two seats. Other Scott County school districts were closed Wednesday because of inclement weather.
In Morley, Mo., four people filed for two seats on the board of aldermen. Calvin Brown, Donnie Joe Williams, Donnie Cope and Doug Sikes are running for the two alderman at-large seats.
In Chaffee, there will be no contested races, as only one candidate filed in each of the four wards. Darlene Crocker, Jerry Childers, Ryan Pennington and Eric Seyer are seeking seats. Ward 4 incumbent Dennis Glastetter chose not to seek re-election. The Southeast Missourian incorrectly reported he was seeking re-election in Wednesday's edition.
Two residents are seeking one open seat on the Illmo Special Road District board -- Gary Blankenship and Roger Smith.
One person filed for each of the two open seats on the North Scott County Ambulance District board -- Lori Mouser and Marvin Raines.
The Scott County Health Department Board of Directors also will see an uncontested election, with three candidates -- Larry Chasteen, Derick Wheeler and Linda Boyd -- filing for three open seats.
Cape Girardeau County
Three people will seek a position on the East County Fire Protection District's board of directors -- John Simmons, Pamela Allen and Norman Goehman.