- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)22
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Southeast reports three confirmed cases of mumps; more cases possible (2/14/17)1
- Right to Work and Taxes (2/10/17)
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
Speak Out 1/16/13
Thanks to Jackson
The city of Jackson really takes good care of us. We appreciate it. Employees worked more than 12 hours on Greensferry Road to replace a water main. God Bless you guys.
The Missouri 8th Congressional District muckety mucks are being far too open and transparent in picking a successor to Congresswoman Jo Ann Emerson. The only truly workable way to pick a worthy successor is to return to the days of the smoke-filled backroom. To those who say that's what's happening, despite all of the appearances of openness, I say that, upon further reflection, you're probably correct.
There is a huge difference between promoting a pro-business [Missouri Chamber of Commerce and its minions, the Missouri General Assembly] agenda and a pro-free market agenda. Many successful businesses might have come up through the competitive ranks but will, once successful, call on the government and others to help stifle competition from aspiring rivals.
One of the most, "Gosh, I hope it comes true!" headlines ever published in the Southeast Missourian had to do with the possibility that one of the Republican dominated houses in the Missouri General Assembly may lose its super majority status.
How about a relevant quote from the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis? "We may have democracy or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few but we cannot have both."
I bagged my leaves today and hauled them away myself. I am not going to wait around for the government to take care of me.