- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)16
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)14
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
Speak Out 1/16/13
Thanks to Jackson
The city of Jackson really takes good care of us. We appreciate it. Employees worked more than 12 hours on Greensferry Road to replace a water main. God Bless you guys.
The Missouri 8th Congressional District muckety mucks are being far too open and transparent in picking a successor to Congresswoman Jo Ann Emerson. The only truly workable way to pick a worthy successor is to return to the days of the smoke-filled backroom. To those who say that's what's happening, despite all of the appearances of openness, I say that, upon further reflection, you're probably correct.
There is a huge difference between promoting a pro-business [Missouri Chamber of Commerce and its minions, the Missouri General Assembly] agenda and a pro-free market agenda. Many successful businesses might have come up through the competitive ranks but will, once successful, call on the government and others to help stifle competition from aspiring rivals.
One of the most, "Gosh, I hope it comes true!" headlines ever published in the Southeast Missourian had to do with the possibility that one of the Republican dominated houses in the Missouri General Assembly may lose its super majority status.
How about a relevant quote from the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis? "We may have democracy or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few but we cannot have both."
I bagged my leaves today and hauled them away myself. I am not going to wait around for the government to take care of me.