- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Speak Out 1/16/13
Thanks to Jackson
The city of Jackson really takes good care of us. We appreciate it. Employees worked more than 12 hours on Greensferry Road to replace a water main. God Bless you guys.
The Missouri 8th Congressional District muckety mucks are being far too open and transparent in picking a successor to Congresswoman Jo Ann Emerson. The only truly workable way to pick a worthy successor is to return to the days of the smoke-filled backroom. To those who say that's what's happening, despite all of the appearances of openness, I say that, upon further reflection, you're probably correct.
There is a huge difference between promoting a pro-business [Missouri Chamber of Commerce and its minions, the Missouri General Assembly] agenda and a pro-free market agenda. Many successful businesses might have come up through the competitive ranks but will, once successful, call on the government and others to help stifle competition from aspiring rivals.
One of the most, "Gosh, I hope it comes true!" headlines ever published in the Southeast Missourian had to do with the possibility that one of the Republican dominated houses in the Missouri General Assembly may lose its super majority status.
How about a relevant quote from the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis? "We may have democracy or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few but we cannot have both."
I bagged my leaves today and hauled them away myself. I am not going to wait around for the government to take care of me.