- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
A packed crowd gathered Friday evening at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Jackson for the Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce banquet.
The annual dinner provides a good opportunity to visit with business leaders and others who help make Jackson a thriving community. Additionally, it's nice to recognize those receiving awards.
Chamber award winners were:
* R.A. Fulenwider Meritorious Community Service Award: Jackson Mayor Barbara Lohr.
* Industry of the Year: Associated Sheet Metal of Jackson. Owners Brian Sievers and Boyd Sievers and owner and founder Don Sievers accepted the award.
* Business of the Year: McDonald's. Cheryl Farrow, area supervisor for the restaurant chain, spoke about the business' community involvement.
* Small Business of the Year: Strickland Engineering of Jackson. Owners Mark Strickland and Brian Strickland and owner and founder Tom Strickland accepted the award.
* Ambassador of the Year: Kevin Schaper, account executive for Withers Broadcasting and community volunteer.
* Volunteer Committee of the Year: Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce Agriculture Committee. Darrell Aufdenburg, David Wells, Roger Eakins, Dean Sawyer and George Kirchendorfer were the committee members recognized.
Congratulations to all the award recipients.