- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Rep. Lichtenegger proposes change to term limits (12/4/17)7
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Buffalo Wild Wings moving to new location in March (12/2/17)2
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
A packed crowd gathered Friday evening at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Jackson for the Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce banquet.
The annual dinner provides a good opportunity to visit with business leaders and others who help make Jackson a thriving community. Additionally, it's nice to recognize those receiving awards.
Chamber award winners were:
* R.A. Fulenwider Meritorious Community Service Award: Jackson Mayor Barbara Lohr.
* Industry of the Year: Associated Sheet Metal of Jackson. Owners Brian Sievers and Boyd Sievers and owner and founder Don Sievers accepted the award.
* Business of the Year: McDonald's. Cheryl Farrow, area supervisor for the restaurant chain, spoke about the business' community involvement.
* Small Business of the Year: Strickland Engineering of Jackson. Owners Mark Strickland and Brian Strickland and owner and founder Tom Strickland accepted the award.
* Ambassador of the Year: Kevin Schaper, account executive for Withers Broadcasting and community volunteer.
* Volunteer Committee of the Year: Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce Agriculture Committee. Darrell Aufdenburg, David Wells, Roger Eakins, Dean Sawyer and George Kirchendorfer were the committee members recognized.
Congratulations to all the award recipients.