- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
A packed crowd gathered Friday evening at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Jackson for the Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce banquet.
The annual dinner provides a good opportunity to visit with business leaders and others who help make Jackson a thriving community. Additionally, it's nice to recognize those receiving awards.
Chamber award winners were:
* R.A. Fulenwider Meritorious Community Service Award: Jackson Mayor Barbara Lohr.
* Industry of the Year: Associated Sheet Metal of Jackson. Owners Brian Sievers and Boyd Sievers and owner and founder Don Sievers accepted the award.
* Business of the Year: McDonald's. Cheryl Farrow, area supervisor for the restaurant chain, spoke about the business' community involvement.
* Small Business of the Year: Strickland Engineering of Jackson. Owners Mark Strickland and Brian Strickland and owner and founder Tom Strickland accepted the award.
* Ambassador of the Year: Kevin Schaper, account executive for Withers Broadcasting and community volunteer.
* Volunteer Committee of the Year: Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce Agriculture Committee. Darrell Aufdenburg, David Wells, Roger Eakins, Dean Sawyer and George Kirchendorfer were the committee members recognized.
Congratulations to all the award recipients.