- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Students move into new fraternity housing at Southeast Missouri State University (8/18/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)10
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Logan's Roadhouse in Cape not closing; Ruby Tuesday fate still unknown (8/17/16)
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Throughout the Christmas season we often see canned food drives, events that help local food banks feed those struggling to make ends meet. But as we move on in the new year, it's important to remember these organizations that do much to fight hunger.
The Southeast Missouri Food Bank is one of the leading organizations in this area. According to a statement from the organization, more than 21,000 children in Southeast Missouri are considered to be food insecure. In its effort to address hunger, the food bank offers the BackPacks for Friday and ABC School Pantry programs. More than 2,700 students benefit each month from these programs.
While many of these students receive free or reduced price meals via the National School Lunch Program, hunger is an issue that doesn't stop when class lets out. Having programs like BackPacks for Friday and the ABC School Pantry help provide nourishment to students and their families.
Though we all face challenges, it's important to remember how blessed we are. Stories of hungry children and families are sobering reminders. And supporting local food banks with donations of money or food is a tangible way we can all give back.
Many individuals, churches, schools and civic groups do much to help those with little to eat. We appreciate this generosity and encourage you to continue your support this year.