- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Two dead after Wednesday wrecks in Stoddard County
DEXTER, Mo. -- Two people were killed in in Stoddard County car crashes Wednesday.
A Bloomfield, Mo., woman died and three people were injured in a two-vehicle collision on Highway 25 in Dexter shortly after 2 p.m. Three hours later a Dexter man died after his vehicle struck a utility pole at the intersection of One Mile Road and Arvin Road.
Killed in the first accident was 69-year-old Evaline Stufflebeam. According to Cpl. John Moore of the Dexter Police Department, a vehicle driven by John Saum, 27, of Dexter was northbound on Highway 25 and was struck from behind as it slowed to make a left turn onto Condor Drive. Saum's vehicle was struck by a vehicle driven by Doris Nelson, 70, also of Dexter.
Stufflebeam was a passenger in the left rear seat of Saum's vehicle. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Nelson sustained minor injuries and was transported to Southeast Health Center of Stoddard County. Nelson was wearing a seat belt, police said. It is unknown if the occupants of Saum's vehicle were wearing seat belts.
Saum was transported to a Cape Girardeau hospital for treatment, as was a passenger, Phillip Cantrell, 20, also of Dexter.
Another passenger in Saum's vehicle, Anna Stufflebeam, 28, was uninjured.
Three hours after the acccident on Highway 25, Dexter police were called to the scene of the second accident in which Larry Payne, 44, was killed.
Police said Payne was westbound on Arvin Road and failed to stop at the One Mile Road crossing. His vehicle was struck by a vehicle driven by 19-year-old Josh Overall, also of Dexter. Overall was not injured.
The impact of the collision sent Payne's vehicle into a utility pole. He was unresponsive when Stoddard County EMS arrived.
Payne was taken to Southeast Health Center of Stoddard County and pronounced dead on arrival.
Police reported Payne was unrestrained in his 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Overall, driving a 2006 Ford pickup , was wearing his seat belt.
One Mile Road and Arvin Road, Dexter, MO
Highway 25 and Condor Drive, Dexter, MO