- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
This is a popular time of year for annual dinners.
Friday night kicks off this run of events with the Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce and the Jackson Industrial Development Company Annual Banquet. According to the chamber, tickets are sold out with 420 people having committed to attend.
The Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce will hold its annual dinner Jan. 25 at the Show Me Center. Reservations can be made by calling the chamber office at 335-3312. Individual reservations are $35 and tables of eight are available.
Southeast Missouri State University will hold its Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Dinner Jan. 23 at the Show Me Center. This year's keynote address will be made by John Legend, a Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter and philanthropist. Dinner tickets are $18 and speaker-only tickets are $10. Dinner tickets are available by calling 651-2524. Speaker-only tickets may be purchased through the Show Me Center by calling 651-5000 or online at www.showmecenter.biz.
These dinners offer a good opportunity to mix business and pleasure. Fellowship with other members of the community is enjoyable. Speakers often highlight success stories from previous year. And awards are given to businesses and community contributors at several of these gatherings.
We hope you will consider these and other opportunities to support quality community events.