- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Governor cuts $146 million, colleges take hit (1/17/17)
- Southern Bank announces merger with Capaha Bank (1/15/17)
This is a popular time of year for annual dinners.
Friday night kicks off this run of events with the Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce and the Jackson Industrial Development Company Annual Banquet. According to the chamber, tickets are sold out with 420 people having committed to attend.
The Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce will hold its annual dinner Jan. 25 at the Show Me Center. Reservations can be made by calling the chamber office at 335-3312. Individual reservations are $35 and tables of eight are available.
Southeast Missouri State University will hold its Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Dinner Jan. 23 at the Show Me Center. This year's keynote address will be made by John Legend, a Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter and philanthropist. Dinner tickets are $18 and speaker-only tickets are $10. Dinner tickets are available by calling 651-2524. Speaker-only tickets may be purchased through the Show Me Center by calling 651-5000 or online at www.showmecenter.biz.
These dinners offer a good opportunity to mix business and pleasure. Fellowship with other members of the community is enjoyable. Speakers often highlight success stories from previous year. And awards are given to businesses and community contributors at several of these gatherings.
We hope you will consider these and other opportunities to support quality community events.