- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Rare Diana photo to be auctioned
AMHERST, N.H. -- A photo marked "not to be published" that shows a teenage Diana Spencer before she became the Princess of Wales, with a young friend seated beside her, will be featured in an auction from Jan. 17 to 24 in New Hampshire.
Stamped February 1981 on the back, the photo was taken around the time Charles, the Prince of Wales, and Lady Diana Spencer ended months of speculation and announced they were to be married.
The photo came from the Caren Archive, a major private collection of rare newspapers and other publications, and was purchased seven years ago from the Daily Mirror newspaper.
In 1981, Diana told news of her engagement to friends, then moved out of her apartment Feb. 23 and into Buckingham Palace. What was widely labeled the wedding of the century took place on July 29, 1981, at St. Paul's Cathedral in London. Their marriage ended in divorce in 1996, and Diana died in a Paris car crash in 1997.
Another Diana photo to be included in the auction is an original 1988 news photo of the princess observing a marriage conflict resolution seminar.