- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)36
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Burglary suspect waives hearing
A Cape Girardeau man accused of burglarizing local businesses and homes in recent weeks waived his preliminary hearing in a Jackson courtroom Monday.
Scott W. Pierce, 30, was in court for the first time since he was charged in the break-ins of two Cape Girardeau bars and two homes in the county. Pierce, who appeared for Monday's arraignment via video from the Cape Girardeau County Jail, requested to skip the next step, the preliminary hearing, and asked that his case to be sent to the circuit-court level.
The move frees prosecutors from meeting the burden of probable cause at the lower-court level.
Judge Gary Kamp granted the request Monday and assigned Pierce to Judge Benjamin Lewis. Pierce's next court date is 9 a.m. Jan. 14.
Pierce was charged Dec. 20 with second-degree burglary and stealing in connection with burglaries of Whiskey River, 1444 Independence St., and Rhymer's on the Plaza, 10 S. Plaza Way.
Police said Pierce took about $4,000 from games, registers and safes. Charges added the next day included residential burglaries on Kelley Court and Oakshire Circle. Police said Pierce stole jewelry, a cellphone, power tools and a gun.
He is represented by Patrick Davis.
10 S. Plaza Way, Cape Girardeau, MO
1444 Independence St., Cape Girardeau, MO
207 Kelley Court, Cape Girardeau, MO
2756 Oakshire Circle, Cape Girardeau, MO