- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- University Foundation to honor Talberts as Friends of the University (2/13/18)2
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)5
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools to install artificial turf on football, soccer fields (2/14/18)
- Major case squad activated to investigate shooting death in Cape (2/13/18)
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
Grown-up Christmas list
If you have been listening to radio stations playing Christmas music 24/7 since Thanksgiving, you've surely heard My Grown-up Christmas List sung by various artists (my favorite is by Gloria Estefan). Here's a partial list of lyrics which seem especially poignant in light of recent acts of violence across the country (it seems there's a new one every day).
Well, I'm all grown up now,
And still need help somehow.
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream.
But Heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul ...
No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list.
To these I would add my personal wish for Christmas and the coming year: that our elected officials put politics aside and everything on the table for discussion on how to reduce the violence and senseless tragedy. How many more people must die? Do it for the children and to help save the innocence of youth. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
JEFF JERNIGAN, Cape Girardeau