- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)27
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)8
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
Grown-up Christmas list
If you have been listening to radio stations playing Christmas music 24/7 since Thanksgiving, you've surely heard My Grown-up Christmas List sung by various artists (my favorite is by Gloria Estefan). Here's a partial list of lyrics which seem especially poignant in light of recent acts of violence across the country (it seems there's a new one every day).
Well, I'm all grown up now,
And still need help somehow.
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream.
But Heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul ...
No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list.
To these I would add my personal wish for Christmas and the coming year: that our elected officials put politics aside and everything on the table for discussion on how to reduce the violence and senseless tragedy. How many more people must die? Do it for the children and to help save the innocence of youth. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
JEFF JERNIGAN, Cape Girardeau