- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)3
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)23
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Grown-up Christmas list
If you have been listening to radio stations playing Christmas music 24/7 since Thanksgiving, you've surely heard My Grown-up Christmas List sung by various artists (my favorite is by Gloria Estefan). Here's a partial list of lyrics which seem especially poignant in light of recent acts of violence across the country (it seems there's a new one every day).
Well, I'm all grown up now,
And still need help somehow.
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream.
But Heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul ...
No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list.
To these I would add my personal wish for Christmas and the coming year: that our elected officials put politics aside and everything on the table for discussion on how to reduce the violence and senseless tragedy. How many more people must die? Do it for the children and to help save the innocence of youth. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
JEFF JERNIGAN, Cape Girardeau