- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
Grown-up Christmas list
If you have been listening to radio stations playing Christmas music 24/7 since Thanksgiving, you've surely heard My Grown-up Christmas List sung by various artists (my favorite is by Gloria Estefan). Here's a partial list of lyrics which seem especially poignant in light of recent acts of violence across the country (it seems there's a new one every day).
Well, I'm all grown up now,
And still need help somehow.
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream.
But Heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul ...
No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list.
To these I would add my personal wish for Christmas and the coming year: that our elected officials put politics aside and everything on the table for discussion on how to reduce the violence and senseless tragedy. How many more people must die? Do it for the children and to help save the innocence of youth. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
JEFF JERNIGAN, Cape Girardeau