- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)18
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Grown-up Christmas list
If you have been listening to radio stations playing Christmas music 24/7 since Thanksgiving, you've surely heard My Grown-up Christmas List sung by various artists (my favorite is by Gloria Estefan). Here's a partial list of lyrics which seem especially poignant in light of recent acts of violence across the country (it seems there's a new one every day).
Well, I'm all grown up now,
And still need help somehow.
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream.
But Heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul ...
No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list.
To these I would add my personal wish for Christmas and the coming year: that our elected officials put politics aside and everything on the table for discussion on how to reduce the violence and senseless tragedy. How many more people must die? Do it for the children and to help save the innocence of youth. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
JEFF JERNIGAN, Cape Girardeau