- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Police: Nurse assistant stole ring from patient's finger (10/27/16)10
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)21
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)10
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Cape teacher resigns after accusation of assaulting student at football game (10/26/16)11
Grown-up Christmas list
If you have been listening to radio stations playing Christmas music 24/7 since Thanksgiving, you've surely heard My Grown-up Christmas List sung by various artists (my favorite is by Gloria Estefan). Here's a partial list of lyrics which seem especially poignant in light of recent acts of violence across the country (it seems there's a new one every day).
Well, I'm all grown up now,
And still need help somehow.
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream.
But Heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul ...
No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list.
To these I would add my personal wish for Christmas and the coming year: that our elected officials put politics aside and everything on the table for discussion on how to reduce the violence and senseless tragedy. How many more people must die? Do it for the children and to help save the innocence of youth. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
JEFF JERNIGAN, Cape Girardeau