- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Caller: Man shot himself in Dexter park
DEXTER, Mo. -- A Bloomfield man was found dead in the cab of a pickup truck at Dexter's West City Park on Friday afternoon.
A caller to the Stoddard County Ambulance District at about 12:40 p.m. Friday said a man had shot himself in a pickup truck on park grounds. Dexter's West City Park is across from the ambulance district facility on Business Highway 60.
Ambulance crews and police arrived within moments and found the victim, Alan Dale Hanner, 44. He was pronounced dead by Stoddard County Deputy Coroner Kenny Pope.
Det. Cory Mills of the Dexter Police Department is leading the investigation into the cause of the man's death and circumstances surrounding the incident. The department is not labeling the death a suicide.
"The investigation is ongoing," Mills stated in a news release late Friday. "The cause of death is pending at this time until further investigation is completed by the Dexter Police Department."
Park grounds were closed to the public for a time Friday after the incident.