- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Christmas Tournament: Top-seed Charleston rolls by Delta
The out-manned Bobcats found out first-hand why the defending champion Bluejays are the tournament's top seed.
Charleston (8-1), ranked No. 3 in Class 3 in the latest coaches poll, started with a flurry and never let up in rolling to a one-sided victory.
Delta (0-9) had no match for the Bluejays' 6-foot-5 junior center Shandor Webster, who scored a game-high 23 points, one of six Bluejays in double figures.
Charleston coach Danny Farmer was pleased his team came out ready to play despite the anticipated mismatch.
"We wanted to come out ready," Farmer said. "More than the score, I was more concerned about our effort. I thought it was pretty good overall."
Delta coach Jimmy Johnson knew what his team, the tourney"s No. 16 seed, was up against it but hoped his team could find a positive in the outcome.
"Whenever a competitor has the opportunity to measure himself against the best, he'll take advantage of that," Johnson said.
Delta 5 2 11 6 -- 24
Charleston 30 28 21 28 -- 107
DELTA (24) -- David Brawley 7, Trever Glaus 2, Tanner Schabbing 4, Dillon Lincoln 3, Dwight Nance 2, Alex Lashley 4, Austin White 2. FG 10, FT 4-6, F 14. (3-pointers: None. Fouled out: None)
CHARLESTON (107) -- Delfincko Bogan 10, Jamael Nelson 8, Robert Bogan 12, Michael Hull 15, Trey Watkins 5, Darrion Henderson 6, Sumner Foster 14, Shandor Webster 23, Darrion Carter 14. FG 45, FT 9-15, F 7. (3-pointers: D. Bogan 2, Nelson 2, Hull 2, Watkins 1, Webster 1. Fouled out: None.)