- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Sikeston man charged in assault, kidnapping
A Sikeston man was in custody following what Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter described as a "string of violent events" on Saturday, including the kidnapping of two people from an establishment in Oran, Mo.
Richard W. Johnson, 30, is being held on a $150,000 bond on charges of first-degree assault, kidnapping, witness tampering and property damage.
The incident began at an Oran establishment Saturday when Johnson and a man began arguing outside the business, according to a news release from the Scott County Sheriff's Department.
During the dispute, Johnson struck the man several times with a closed fist in front of the man's girlfriend, the release said. Johnson then forced the alleged victims into the girlfriend's vehicle and drove toward Morley, Mo.
Johnson continued his attack on the man, stopping the vehicle twice to beat the man on the roadside, Walter said. Johnson left the man lying in the roadway unconscious while he forced the woman to drive him home, where he eventually released her, according to the release.
Johnson told the woman he would kill her if she contacted police, and he disabled her cell phone before releasing her, Walter said. He stated several times he was not going back to prison, the release said.
The woman returned to help her boyfriend, but Johnson followed her and beat the man more, according to the release. The woman took her boyfriend to receive medical assistance and notified authorities, the release said.