- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Nowothy graduates from military training
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Pfc. Sara Nowothy, of Cape Girardeau, recently completed her military training to become a military policeman for Missouri National Guard's Detachment 1, 1137th Military Police Company in Jackson, Mo.
"I joined the Guard because I really wanted to," said Nowothy. "I woke up one day and decided I wanted to be in the military and serve my country."
She graduated from basic training and advanced individual training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., Nov. 8, 2012.
Prior to training, Nowothy served with Company E of the Recruit Sustainment Program in Cape Girardeau. Through the program, she learned basic Army skills and values and became more familiar with his role as a Soldier in the Missouri Army National Guard.
Staff Sgt. Stephen Bell, recruiter at the Cape Girardeau armory, said Nowothy will be indispensable asset to the Missouri National Guard.
"Since I first enlisted her, she has been one of my most squared away Soldiers," said Bell. "She puts the military first and is always looking out for her battle buddies."
Nowothy will begin serving with her new unit in January 2012.
Nowothy is the daughter of Mary Schiermann and Matt Nowothy, both of St. Louis. She is a graduate of Lindbergh High School and is currently attending Southeast Missouri State University.
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, please visit www.moguard.com and our social media sites: www.facebook.com/Missouri.National.Guard; www.twitter.com/Missouri_NG; www.youtube.com/MoNationalGuard; www.myspace.com/missouri_ng; www.flickr.com/photos/missouriguard; www.moguard.com/blog; www.pinterest.com/monationalguard/