- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
Nowothy graduates from military training
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Pfc. Sara Nowothy, of Cape Girardeau, recently completed her military training to become a military policeman for Missouri National Guard's Detachment 1, 1137th Military Police Company in Jackson, Mo.
"I joined the Guard because I really wanted to," said Nowothy. "I woke up one day and decided I wanted to be in the military and serve my country."
She graduated from basic training and advanced individual training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., Nov. 8, 2012.
Prior to training, Nowothy served with Company E of the Recruit Sustainment Program in Cape Girardeau. Through the program, she learned basic Army skills and values and became more familiar with his role as a Soldier in the Missouri Army National Guard.
Staff Sgt. Stephen Bell, recruiter at the Cape Girardeau armory, said Nowothy will be indispensable asset to the Missouri National Guard.
"Since I first enlisted her, she has been one of my most squared away Soldiers," said Bell. "She puts the military first and is always looking out for her battle buddies."
Nowothy will begin serving with her new unit in January 2012.
Nowothy is the daughter of Mary Schiermann and Matt Nowothy, both of St. Louis. She is a graduate of Lindbergh High School and is currently attending Southeast Missouri State University.
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, please visit www.moguard.com and our social media sites: www.facebook.com/Missouri.National.Guard; www.twitter.com/Missouri_NG; www.youtube.com/MoNationalGuard; www.myspace.com/missouri_ng; www.flickr.com/photos/missouriguard; www.moguard.com/blog; www.pinterest.com/monationalguard/