- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Nowothy graduates from military training
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Pfc. Sara Nowothy, of Cape Girardeau, recently completed her military training to become a military policeman for Missouri National Guard's Detachment 1, 1137th Military Police Company in Jackson, Mo.
"I joined the Guard because I really wanted to," said Nowothy. "I woke up one day and decided I wanted to be in the military and serve my country."
She graduated from basic training and advanced individual training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., Nov. 8, 2012.
Prior to training, Nowothy served with Company E of the Recruit Sustainment Program in Cape Girardeau. Through the program, she learned basic Army skills and values and became more familiar with his role as a Soldier in the Missouri Army National Guard.
Staff Sgt. Stephen Bell, recruiter at the Cape Girardeau armory, said Nowothy will be indispensable asset to the Missouri National Guard.
"Since I first enlisted her, she has been one of my most squared away Soldiers," said Bell. "She puts the military first and is always looking out for her battle buddies."
Nowothy will begin serving with her new unit in January 2012.
Nowothy is the daughter of Mary Schiermann and Matt Nowothy, both of St. Louis. She is a graduate of Lindbergh High School and is currently attending Southeast Missouri State University.
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, please visit www.moguard.com and our social media sites: www.facebook.com/Missouri.National.Guard; www.twitter.com/Missouri_NG; www.youtube.com/MoNationalGuard; www.myspace.com/missouri_ng; www.flickr.com/photos/missouriguard; www.moguard.com/blog; www.pinterest.com/monationalguard/