- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)41
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Southeast president to get his U.S. citizenship July 4 (06/30/16)34
- Cape murderer still will serve 2 life sentences; appeals court forced reduced charge (06/30/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
A tradition for many this time of year is attending basketball games, and the competition doesn't get much better than the two tournaments being held at the Show Me Center this week and next.
The Kelso Supply Holiday Classic for high school girls basketball teams kicked off Tuesday. Notre Dame, Central High School, Jackson and Saxony Lutheran all picked up victories in the first round.
Semifinal action continued last night, and four games will wrap up the tournament Saturday. Times for Saturday's contests are noon, 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., with the final game serving as the championship.
The Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament starts Wednesday at the Show Me Center. Sixteen high school boys basketball teams will compete in front of thousands of fans. Teams include: Charleston, Central High School, Notre Dame, Scott County Central, Jackson, Leopold, Advance, Oran, Scott City, Chaffee, Oak Ridge, Kelly, Woodland, Bell City, Meadow Heights and Delta.
We hope you make plans to attend. But if you miss a game or want to relive the action, check out the Southeast Missourian's coverage in print and online at semoball.com. There will be live chats, photos, stories, box scores and replay video from all the games. Southeast SportsCare will sponsor a webcast on the tournament's fourth and final day. You can also sign up for a bracket challenge, sponsored by Auto Tire & Parts, at semoball.com/christmas12.
These contests usually prove to be competitive. Among all the talented players, you may be watching some future college basketball stars.
Ultimately, these tournaments are about good sportsmanship and having fun. We appreciate all those who help make this happen.