- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)12
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)14
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)14
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
A tradition for many this time of year is attending basketball games, and the competition doesn't get much better than the two tournaments being held at the Show Me Center this week and next.
The Kelso Supply Holiday Classic for high school girls basketball teams kicked off Tuesday. Notre Dame, Central High School, Jackson and Saxony Lutheran all picked up victories in the first round.
Semifinal action continued last night, and four games will wrap up the tournament Saturday. Times for Saturday's contests are noon, 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., with the final game serving as the championship.
The Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament starts Wednesday at the Show Me Center. Sixteen high school boys basketball teams will compete in front of thousands of fans. Teams include: Charleston, Central High School, Notre Dame, Scott County Central, Jackson, Leopold, Advance, Oran, Scott City, Chaffee, Oak Ridge, Kelly, Woodland, Bell City, Meadow Heights and Delta.
We hope you make plans to attend. But if you miss a game or want to relive the action, check out the Southeast Missourian's coverage in print and online at semoball.com. There will be live chats, photos, stories, box scores and replay video from all the games. Southeast SportsCare will sponsor a webcast on the tournament's fourth and final day. You can also sign up for a bracket challenge, sponsored by Auto Tire & Parts, at semoball.com/christmas12.
These contests usually prove to be competitive. Among all the talented players, you may be watching some future college basketball stars.
Ultimately, these tournaments are about good sportsmanship and having fun. We appreciate all those who help make this happen.