- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Custom cuts: Local hairstylist provides free haircuts to special-needs children (6/26/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Marble Hill man accused of beating, kidnapping woman (6/27/17)
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Business notebook: Man's cheesecake whim becomes a full-time vocation (6/26/17)
A tradition for many this time of year is attending basketball games, and the competition doesn't get much better than the two tournaments being held at the Show Me Center this week and next.
The Kelso Supply Holiday Classic for high school girls basketball teams kicked off Tuesday. Notre Dame, Central High School, Jackson and Saxony Lutheran all picked up victories in the first round.
Semifinal action continued last night, and four games will wrap up the tournament Saturday. Times for Saturday's contests are noon, 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., with the final game serving as the championship.
The Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament starts Wednesday at the Show Me Center. Sixteen high school boys basketball teams will compete in front of thousands of fans. Teams include: Charleston, Central High School, Notre Dame, Scott County Central, Jackson, Leopold, Advance, Oran, Scott City, Chaffee, Oak Ridge, Kelly, Woodland, Bell City, Meadow Heights and Delta.
We hope you make plans to attend. But if you miss a game or want to relive the action, check out the Southeast Missourian's coverage in print and online at semoball.com. There will be live chats, photos, stories, box scores and replay video from all the games. Southeast SportsCare will sponsor a webcast on the tournament's fourth and final day. You can also sign up for a bracket challenge, sponsored by Auto Tire & Parts, at semoball.com/christmas12.
These contests usually prove to be competitive. Among all the talented players, you may be watching some future college basketball stars.
Ultimately, these tournaments are about good sportsmanship and having fun. We appreciate all those who help make this happen.