- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
A tradition for many this time of year is attending basketball games, and the competition doesn't get much better than the two tournaments being held at the Show Me Center this week and next.
The Kelso Supply Holiday Classic for high school girls basketball teams kicked off Tuesday. Notre Dame, Central High School, Jackson and Saxony Lutheran all picked up victories in the first round.
Semifinal action continued last night, and four games will wrap up the tournament Saturday. Times for Saturday's contests are noon, 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., with the final game serving as the championship.
The Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament starts Wednesday at the Show Me Center. Sixteen high school boys basketball teams will compete in front of thousands of fans. Teams include: Charleston, Central High School, Notre Dame, Scott County Central, Jackson, Leopold, Advance, Oran, Scott City, Chaffee, Oak Ridge, Kelly, Woodland, Bell City, Meadow Heights and Delta.
We hope you make plans to attend. But if you miss a game or want to relive the action, check out the Southeast Missourian's coverage in print and online at semoball.com. There will be live chats, photos, stories, box scores and replay video from all the games. Southeast SportsCare will sponsor a webcast on the tournament's fourth and final day. You can also sign up for a bracket challenge, sponsored by Auto Tire & Parts, at semoball.com/christmas12.
These contests usually prove to be competitive. Among all the talented players, you may be watching some future college basketball stars.
Ultimately, these tournaments are about good sportsmanship and having fun. We appreciate all those who help make this happen.