- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)18
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
A tradition for many this time of year is attending basketball games, and the competition doesn't get much better than the two tournaments being held at the Show Me Center this week and next.
The Kelso Supply Holiday Classic for high school girls basketball teams kicked off Tuesday. Notre Dame, Central High School, Jackson and Saxony Lutheran all picked up victories in the first round.
Semifinal action continued last night, and four games will wrap up the tournament Saturday. Times for Saturday's contests are noon, 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., with the final game serving as the championship.
The Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament starts Wednesday at the Show Me Center. Sixteen high school boys basketball teams will compete in front of thousands of fans. Teams include: Charleston, Central High School, Notre Dame, Scott County Central, Jackson, Leopold, Advance, Oran, Scott City, Chaffee, Oak Ridge, Kelly, Woodland, Bell City, Meadow Heights and Delta.
We hope you make plans to attend. But if you miss a game or want to relive the action, check out the Southeast Missourian's coverage in print and online at semoball.com. There will be live chats, photos, stories, box scores and replay video from all the games. Southeast SportsCare will sponsor a webcast on the tournament's fourth and final day. You can also sign up for a bracket challenge, sponsored by Auto Tire & Parts, at semoball.com/christmas12.
These contests usually prove to be competitive. Among all the talented players, you may be watching some future college basketball stars.
Ultimately, these tournaments are about good sportsmanship and having fun. We appreciate all those who help make this happen.