- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)3
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Zalma boy found at Cape Walmart
Brent Jones is safe
The missing 12-year-old Zalma, Mo., boy was found early Wednesday at the Walmart store in Cape Girardeau.
Brent, who was reported missing Tuesday afternoon, had not been seen since he went to bed Monday night, according to Jim Bollinger of the Bollinger County Emergency Management Agency and Marble Hill [Mo.] Fire Department. Authorities and volunteers from Bollinger and surrounding counties searched for the boy Tuesday until about 10 p.m. before suspending their efforts for the night.
Search parties were preparing to resume the search Wednesday morning, Bollinger said, when they received news that Brent had been found. Bollinger County Chief Deputy Jeff Woodard said the child was safe and unharmed. The department said the search was extensive because the boy had "behavioral problems" and authorities worried about the muddy terrain where he was at one point.
Cape Girardeau Police Department spokesman Darin Hickey said a woman recognized Brent at Walmart and called police. Brent had been seen driving a vehicle at Walmart, but Hickey said the vehicle had not been reported stolen.
Juvenile authorities took the boy into custody until they could contact his family.
3439 William St., Cape Girardeau, Mo