- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Zalma boy found at Cape Walmart
Brent Jones is safe
The missing 12-year-old Zalma, Mo., boy was found early Wednesday at the Walmart store in Cape Girardeau.
Brent, who was reported missing Tuesday afternoon, had not been seen since he went to bed Monday night, according to Jim Bollinger of the Bollinger County Emergency Management Agency and Marble Hill [Mo.] Fire Department. Authorities and volunteers from Bollinger and surrounding counties searched for the boy Tuesday until about 10 p.m. before suspending their efforts for the night.
Search parties were preparing to resume the search Wednesday morning, Bollinger said, when they received news that Brent had been found. Bollinger County Chief Deputy Jeff Woodard said the child was safe and unharmed. The department said the search was extensive because the boy had "behavioral problems" and authorities worried about the muddy terrain where he was at one point.
Cape Girardeau Police Department spokesman Darin Hickey said a woman recognized Brent at Walmart and called police. Brent had been seen driving a vehicle at Walmart, but Hickey said the vehicle had not been reported stolen.
Juvenile authorities took the boy into custody until they could contact his family.
3439 William St., Cape Girardeau, Mo