- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Bowen files for Ward 6 council seat
Wayne Bowen, chair of the history department at Southeast Missouri State University, has filed to run for the Ward 6 city council seat in Cape Girardeau. A special election for the seat will take place in April.
Bowen, who also is a Southeast Missourian columnist, turned in a required petition to city hall Tuesday, the first day of filing. No one else has picked up a petition to gather signatures in the ward, according to city clerk Gayle Conrad. Filing is open until Jan. 15.
The council seat is being vacated by Kathy Swan, who is resigning to join the Missouri House of Representatives in January. She will serve the 147th district, which covers Cape Girardeau.
401 Independence St., Cape Girardeau, MO