- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Nixon and Medicaid expansion
The hot topic of the hour is Gov. Nixon's support for the expansion of Medicaid as outlined in President Obama's "Affordable" Care Act. I put "affordable" in quotation marks to emphasize there is nothing about this legislation that could be misconstrued as affordable. As all other entitlement programs have done over the years, the costs always are much greater than originally estimated, and the problems these programs promise to fix continue to plague society.
I believe the governor thinks the expansion of Medicaid is the right thing to do, and I admire his desire to assist the approximately 161,000 Missourians who would be added to the Medicaid roles if this expansion were to occur. The problem is Gov. Nixon has governed in a fairly fiscally conservative manner since becoming governor. The expansion of Medicaid is not fiscally conservative and not why he was re-elected.
What we need is leadership willing to make tough decisions and promote solutions to societal problems that have a solid foundation rooted in the principles of life, liberty, freedom, personal responsibility and charity. We need a pro-economic growth agenda in order to create the jobs necessary for people to pick themselves up out of poverty and provide for themselves; not more entitlements.
HOLLY M. LINTNER, Jackson