- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Area legislators appointed to Missouri House committees
State representatives from Southeast Missouri will serve as members of several budget appropriations committees, Missouri's House Speaker Tim Jones, R-Eureka, Mo., announced Friday.
Kathy Swan, R-Cape Girardeau, who will begin her first term serving the 147th District in January, and Steve Hodges, D-East Prairie, Mo., will serve on the House Appropriations Committee for Education, which oversees bills that provide funding for the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Department of Higher Education.
Donna Lichtenegger, R-Jackson, will serve on the House Appropriations Committee for Health, Mental Health and Social Services. Holly Rehder, R-Sikeston, Mo., and Dennis Fowler, R-Advance, Mo., who also are beginning first terms in the House, were appointed to serve on the House Appropriations Committee for Transportation and Economic Development.
Other committees include those for general administration, public safety and corrections and agriculture and natural resources.
The legislature will begin its 2013 session Jan. 9.