- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Missing New Madrid County man found dead
PORTAGEVILLE, Mo. -- A Portageville man was found dead Monday night after a search.
Irvin Matlock had been reported missing at 6 a.m. Monday at the New Madrid County Sheriff's Department. Matlock and his partner were going to camp at the Blue Hole on the levee near Point Pleasant on Sunday night. When a thunderstorm began, they started to walk back to their home. After a brief argument, the two separated.
The partner was picked up and taken to her home Sunday evening; Matlock never returned. Early Monday morning, family members reported to authorities what had happened. Matlock was legally blind.
Monday afternoon, New Madrid County Sheriff Terry Stevens called in extra help from the Sikeston Department of Public Safety.
According to Stevens, Matlock's body was found Monday evening and at 7:15 p.m. he was pronounced dead at the scene. He was found in a water-filled drainage ditch, and is believed to have drowned.