- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
JoAnn Lowes, 79, of Jackson, formerly of Dexter, Mo., passed away Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012, at her home.
She was born Feb. 15, 1933, in Cape Girardeau to L.B. and Mary A. Hinton Crites. She and Norman H. Lowes were married Nov. 23, 1951, at Hanover Lutheran parsonage. They were married 59 years when Norman passed away March 31, 2011.
JoAnn was confirmed Aug. 7, 1952, at Hanover Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau. She earned a master's degree in elementary education from Southeast Missouri State University. The family resided in Dexter for 48 years where JoAnn taught third, fourth and fifth grades.
JoAnn was a member of Hanover Lutheran Church, and was a former active member of Faith Lutheran Church in Dexter. Her hobbies included quilting and ceramics. She especially enjoyed shopping, dining out and traveling.
Survivors include a daughter, Carol Ann (the late Steven) Roderman of Davison, Mich; a son, Michael Ray (Rexenne) Lowes of Hannibal, Mo.; five grandchildren, Erica (Shawn) Heck of O'Fallon, Mo., Lisa (Sam) Weaver of Price, Utah, Jennifer (Rocky) Nichols of Canton, Mich., Gregory (Tomi) Lowes of Hannibal, Audrey (Luke) McCoy of Marion, Iowa; 11 great-grandchildren, Ethan, Abigail, Matthew, Brendon, Megan, Owen, Olivia, Madalyn, Corban, Abigail and Moriah; a sister, Betty (Andy) Johnson of Fredericktown, Mo.; three sisters-in-law, Betsy (the late James) Crites of Cape Girardeau, Lillian (Ernest) Reiman of Egypt Mills, Mary Lou Lowes of Jackson; and two brothers-in-law, Paul (Loretta) Lowes and Harold (Maretta) Lowes, all of Jackson.
In addition to her husband and parents, she was preceded in death by a brother, James Crites; and an infant sister, Dorothy Jean Crites.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at McCombs Funeral Home and Cremation Center in Jackson, and from 10 a.m. until time of service Saturday at Hanover Lutheran Church.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at the church, with the Rev. Tony Kobak officiating. Interment will be in the church cemetery.
Memorials may take the form of contributions to Hanover Lutheran Building Fund or Southeast Hospice.
Online condolences may be sent to the family by visiting www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.