- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Man evades police after overnight Wednesday chase
An attempted traffic stop escalated into a police pursuit early Wednesday morning, but the suspect managed to evade capture when he abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot, police said.
The man was not in custody Wednesday afternoon, according to Cape Girardeau Police Department spokesman Darin Hickey.
The department did not identify the suspect, but Hickey did say officers are investigating.
The incident began about 12:30 a.m. when an officer tried to pull over a vehicle near William and Spanish streets for failing to stay in one lane, Hickey said. The driver refused to obey, leading the officer and several others on a chase for several blocks in south Cape Girardeau.
The man evaded capture when police momentarily lost sight of the vehicle as it darted into an alley, Hickey said.
Officers found the vehicle abandoned a short distance away.
A female passenger was located, Hickey said. She was released after speaking to officers.
The driver was last seen running toward the Common Pleas Courthouse.
William Street and South Spanish Street, Cape Girardeau, MO