- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)18
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Scott City man charged with six felonies in sexual assault of 15-year-old girl
BENTON, Mo. -- A 25-year-old Scott City man sexually abused a 15-year-old girl twice in September, according to criminal charges filed Monday in Scott County Circuit Court. The charges claim the first incident took place on the floor of a room where other people were sleeping.
Darrion Crenshaw is charged with six second-degree felony charges, two counts of statutory rape and four counts of statutory sodomy that carry a possible sentence of more than 40 years in prison. An arraignment is scheduled today in front of Judge Scott Horman at the courthouse in Benton.
Crenshaw is being held at the Scott County Jail on $25,000 bond that, if made, carries conditions that he have no contact with the victim or any children. Assistant prosecuting attorney Tabitha Watson, who filed the charges Monday, did not return phone calls seeking comment on Tuesday. Court filings didn't list a lawyer for Crenshaw, though he will likely be asked about his plans for representation at the 10:30 a.m. court proceeding.
According to a probable cause statement, the victim's mother contacted the Scott City Police Department on Nov. 26 to report that her daughter had sex with Crenshaw on two occasions.
Crenshaw, who was already in jail on charges of stealing and resisting arrest, eventually admitted to having sex with the girl, but he said it only happened once, according to a probable cause statement. Crenshaw also told police that he had trouble remembering the first time because he was intoxicated and using drugs, the statement said.
The victim was given a sexual assault forensic examination on Thursday. During an interview, the girl, who recently turned 16, said Crenshaw had invited her to a party in early September where they had intercourse for the first time. She told examiners that she told him how old she was, and he responded that he knew he could get in trouble.
She finally relented, she said, with the act taking place in the living room of an apartment with several people sleeping around the room.
Another occurrence took place a week or two later, she said.
In Missouri, minors aren't legally capable of giving consent. Second-degree statutory rape takes place when someone who is 21 or older has sex with someone who is younger than 17.
Crenshaw has a criminal record, with two active failure to appear warrants in the state of Washington. He also was arrested on Nov. 20 by the Scott City Police Department on stealing and resisting arrest charges. He was found guilty of a stealing charge in King County, Wash., in December 2011.
131 S. Winchester St., Benton, MO