- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)23
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Dorena-Hickman Ferry reduces operations
Low water on the Mississippi River has forced the Dorena-Hickman Ferry to reduce operating hours in the afternoon.
The ferry will now make the last run from the Missouri landing at 4:30 p.m. and the last run from the Kentucky landing at 4:15 p.m., according to a Kentucky Transportation Cabinet news release. This reduced operating schedule will remain in effect until further notice.
Last week, the ferry had to exclude commercial trucks from crossing because the low river level makes it difficult for trucks to move on and off the ferry at the Missouri landing. The low water has made it difficult for the ferry to land safely after dark, police said in a news release. The ferry continues to serve passenger vehicle and small-truck traffic but only during daylight hours.
The Dorena-Hickman Ferry connects KY 1354 at Hickman, Ky., with Missouri Route A and Route 77 near Dorena, Mo. For more information, visit dorena-hickmanferryboat.com.