Sunday, December 2, 2012
Sounds of the Seasons concert set for today
The annual Sounds of the Season Christmas Concert will be at 2 p.m. today at Cape Bible Chapel, 2911 Kage Road in Cape Girardeau. The concert will feature master of ceremonies Mike Dumey and top vocal and dance talent. Proceeds from the concert will support the Patient Experience Fund at the Southeast Cancer Center. Cape Girardeau orthodontist and cancer survivor Dr. David Crowe is the honorary chairman. Ticket cost is a suggested $5 donation per person. Tickets can be purchased at the door.
Shawnee National Forest's seasonal closings
Shawnee National Forest will close select forest areas, including recreation sites, roads and wilderness trails for the winter season. There is a seasonal wilderness trail restriction prohibiting stock use to protect wilderness resources through March 31 at the following locations: the Lusk Creek, Garden of the Gods and Bay Creek Wilderness. The following campgrounds will also be closed Dec. 15 to March 15: Red Bud Campground at Bell Smith Springs, Pine Ridge Campground at Pounds Hollow, Millstone Bluff Archeological Area, Pine Hills and Johnson Creek Campgrounds. For more information, visit www.fs.usda.gov/shawnee.
National forest, Ducks Unlimited to partner
Shawnee National Forest and Ducks Unlimited have agreed to partner for a cost share agreement to support wetland restoration and habitat improvement projects along the floodplains of the Big Muddy River. According to Shawnee National Forest, the partnership has resulted in the restoration of approximately 680 acres of restored wetland habitat across four wetland areas. For more information, visit www.fs.usda.gov/shawnee.
Free peripheral artery disease screening set
A free peripheral artery disease screening is scheduled for 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday at Cardiovascular Consultants, 371 S. Broadview in Cape Girardeau. Following the screening, participants will have the opportunity to review the results with Dr. Steven Carr of Cardiovascular Consultants. To schedule an appointment, call 331-6369.
Starting Point holds information session
Starting Point weight management is hosting a free informational session from 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday at HealthPoint in Cape Girardeau. Starting Point is a medically supervised program which emphasizes nutrition and fitness for rapid and safe weight loss. For more information, call 986-4440.
HealthPoint schedules Mini Munchkin Camp
Health Point Mini Munchkin Camp is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. to noon Tuesday at HealthPoint in Jackson and Dec. 11 at HealthPoint in Cape Girardeau. Children ages 2 to 5 will enjoy a morning of fun with games, music, craft, activity and more. Cost is $15 per child for HealthPoint members and $20 per child for nonmembers. Parents do not have to stay in the building. For more information, call HealthPoint -- Cape at 986-4400 or HealthPoint -- Jackson at 243-2211 or visit SEhealth.org/HealthPoint.
*** Local author to hold book signing Saturday
The Rev. Dr. Tim Morgan of Light of the Soul Center in Kelso, Mo., will sign copies of his new book, "The Enneagram of Miracles," from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday at Culvers Restaurant, 295 N. Kingshighway in Cape Girardeau.
Old Town Cape Parade of Lights float winners
The following is a list of winners from the Old Town Cape Parade of Lights held Nov. 25 in downtown Cape Girardeau. First-, second- and third-place certificates were awarded to entries in categories including theme, appearance (classes A and B), enthusiasm, best music and best lighting. In addition, a chairman's certificate was awarded.
* Theme winners were SoutheastHEALTH (first place), Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center (second place) and Hutson's Fine Furniture (third place).
* Class A (more than 25 feet) appearance winners were Anderson Broadcasting (first place), Downtown Antiques (second place) and American Cancer Society (third place).
* Class B (less than 25 feet) appearance winners were Bethlehem General Baptist Church (first place), Hutson's Fine Furniture (second place) and Trend Setters School of Cosmetology (third place).
* Best enthusiasm winners were Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center (first place), Trend Setters School of Cosmetology (second place) and Downtown Antiques (Third Place).
* Best music winners were Fellowship Baptist Church (first place), Mississippi River Radio (second place) and Cape West 14 Cine (third place).
* Best lighting winners were Anderson Broadcasting (first place), Crossroads Fellowship (second place) and The Printing Company (third place).
The chairman's certificate winner was The Printing Company.