- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Many of us participate in holiday traditions. From parades and shopping to family dinners and other gatherings, the Thanksgiving and Christmas season is filled with events and much to celebrate.
When we talk traditions, giving is near the top of the list. Many of you have or will give to charities, spreading Christmas cheer to the less fortunate. Thank you. It's never too early to learn this lesson.
Earlier this month students at Chaffee High School held their annual Thanksgiving dinner for local senior citizens. According to one of the students, the dinner was started in 1990.
This year some 70 students brought in supplies. The students were expected to serve about 375 seniors at the VFW in Chaffee.
The Chaffee students aren't the only ones serving up a holiday meal. The student council at Perryville High School will hold its annual Senior Citizens Holiday Dinner at 5 p.m. Dec. 4. According to the school, reservations are all booked for this year. About 125 senior citizens will attend, with 37 students serving the meal.
For some senior citizens the holidays can be a lonely time. A spouse may no longer be living, and children and other family may live far away. But holding these events provides a good opportunity for fellowship around a delicious meal.
We commend the students and adult organizers in Chaffee and Perryville as well as other groups who hold similar events. While you're providing a wonderful Christmas gift to the attendees, the act of giving has its own rewards.