- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Custom cuts: Local hairstylist provides free haircuts to special-needs children (6/26/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)4
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
19 bodies found in northern Mexico border state
CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico -- Nineteen bodies have been discovered in Mexico's northern border state of Chihuahua, officials said Sunday. The find included 11 apparently long-dead men found in mass graves and eight others who were tortured and killed in recent days.
The state prosecutor's office for missing people said 11 bodies were found in Ejido Jesus Carranza, near the U.S. border about 25 miles southeast of Ciudad Juarez. The area of sand dunes is a popular spot for picnickers from Juarez, which is just across the border from El Paso, Texas.
Officials said the male victims were apparently buried two years ago at the height of battles between drug gangs seeking to control routes across the border. Federal statistics showed more than 3,000 people were killed that year in Ciudad Juarez, a city of 1.4 million, making it one of the most dangerous places on earth.
Prosecutors also said that officials had found eight bodies tossed along a road near Rosales, about 120 miles southwest of Ojinaga, Texas. The agency said the men apparently were kidnapped Friday and were discovered Saturday. It said they had been shot in the head after being tortured. Some had been burned, beaten and had eyes carved out.