- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Breakfast with Santa is Saturday
Breakfast with Santa is scheduled for 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the Osage Centre. The breakfast is for children ages 12 and younger, accompanied by an adult. The cost is $5 per child, $8 for two children, $11 for three children, $5 per adult in advance or $8 per person on the day of registration. Registration must be done by Friday. All proceeds go to the Parks Development Foundation. For more information or to register, call the Parks and Recreation Department at 339-6340.
Genealogical Society schedules meeting
The Cape Girardeau County Genealogical Society will meet 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Cape Girardeau County Archive Center, located at 112 E. Washington St. in Jackson. Charlotte Slinkard of NSDAR will present a program on "The War of 1812 Museum." The Cape Girardeau County Genealogical Society meets bimonthly on the fourth Tuesday. Membership is $10 per year. For more information, call 335-1507.
Historical Society plans open house
The Mississippi County Historical Society Board will be hosting an open house at 6 p.m. Dec. 7 at the Moore home in Charleston, Mo. This year's theme is "Candy Canes on Candle Night." Music will be provided by Jerry McDowell. Vintage clothing will be modeled and frozen casseroles and other home baked goods will be available for purchase.
Safe Harbor pet adoption events
Safe Harbor animal shelter is hosting Home for the Holidays pet adoption events Saturday, Dec. 8 and Dec. 15 at the following locations and times:
* 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Safe Harbor Animal Sanctuary, 359 Cree Lane, Fruitland.
* 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Safe Harbor Thrift Store, 3862 E. Jackson Blvd., Jackson.
* 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Petco, 266 Siemers Drive, Cape Girardeau.
For more information, go online to www.safeharboranimalsanctuary.org, or call, 243-9823.
St. Joseph breakfast and bake sale
St. Joseph Catholic Church of Apple Creek Men's Club is hosting a breakfast and bake sale from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Dec. 9, at the church hall. The cost is $7 for adults, $3 for children ages 5 to 12 and free for children younger than 5. Sausage, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, biscuits and gravy, homemade coffee cake and drinks will be served.
Shop with a Hero set for Dec. 4
The annual "Shop with a Hero" program begins 5:30 a.m. Dec. 4 at Walmart in Cape Girardeau. Area children in need, ages 5 to 12, may shop with a firefighter, police officer or first responder for Christmas presents. Children's names must be submitted to Walmart by Friday. Donations and child sponsorships are requested. For more information, contact 335-4600, extension 109.
Winter Wonderland of Treasures Sale set
The 13th annual Winter Wonderland of Treasures Sale will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at St. Denis Parish Center in Benton, Mo. There will be more than 50 booths featuring handmade crafts, specialty food items, quilts, RADA cutlery, woodworking, Christmas items, Barbie doll clothes and furniture, personalized items, candles, purses, jewelry, baby items and more. Homemade chili and chicken noodle soup plus other concessions will be available. Admission is free. Door prizes will be given throughout the day. There will also be a raffle and 50-50 drawing. All proceeds will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and the March for Life trip for eighth-grade students.