- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Trial delayed in killing of 3-year-old SE Mo. girl
KENNETT, Mo. (AP) - A southeastern Missouri man accused of killing a 3-year-old girl who wandered into his yard has had his trial postponed.
Shawn Morgan, of Senath, had been scheduled to go on trial Dec. 10 in Dunklin County Circuit Court. The Daily Dunklin Democrat reports (http://bit.ly/SU0t0F ) the case has been taken off the docket, but no new trial date has been set.
The county prosecutor said earlier this year he would seek the death penalty if Morgan is convicted in the August 2011 killing of BreeAnn Rodriguez. The toddler's remains were found 10 days later about eight miles away.
Authorities have said Morgan confessed to killing BreeAnn after finding her on the ladder of his above-ground backyard swimming pool.
A jury will be brought from central Missouri's Phelps County for Morgan's trial.
Information from: Daily Dunklin Democrat, Kennett, Mo., http://www.dddnews.com
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.