- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Southeast Missouri State;s Lathrop among 20 finalists for football award
Southeast Missouri State redshirt freshman quarterback Scott Lathrop was named one of 20 finalists for the Jerry Rice Award on Monday.
Lathrop initially made the Jerry Rice Award watch list on Nov. 7 and is now among the candidates for the award that goes to the national freshman of the year in the Football Championship Subdivision.
Lathrop finished the season with 824 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. He also completed 91 of 158 passes (57.6 percent) for 1,025 yards and seven touchdowns.
Lathrop is the only Ohio Valley Conference player among the Rice Award finalists.
The National Soccer Coaches Association of American (NSCAA) honored Southeast with the organization's Team Academic Award after the Redhawks recorded a 3.55 grade point average during the 2011-12 school year, tied for 13th-best in the country.
Thirteen members of this year's Redhawks recorded a 2011-12 GPA of 3.50 or higher, led by Amy Ward's perfect 4.0 mark.
-- From staff reports