- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Students learn about glass creations
Travis and Judy James of TJ's Glass Creations in Ste. Genevieve recently visited the seventh grade at Perry County Middle School.
"They told a little background story of how they started this venture, and then demonstrated how they make their beautiful glass figurines," said teacher Karen Bahr.
Since they were in Mrs. Bahr's Science room, they also discussed a couple of science topics -- how conduction relates to the glass and different metals they use, and how adding oxygen helps regulate the temperatures needed to melt the glass at 3,000 degrees.
Travis explained the various tools that he made himself in order to form the intricate designs, and he used different colors of glass to make a rose with green petals. Judy also showed the group how she uses stains to create colorful iris and hummingbirds.
"Travis and Judy surprised us by making 40 colorful fish for lucky students to choose from as a little memento to take home," Bahr said.
The students showed great character during the demonstration, and the seventh Grade teachers expressed their deep gratitude for the James's generosity and kindness. To find out more about their beautiful birds, flowers, and other creations, the James' can be contacted at email@example.com.