- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Students learn about glass creations
Travis and Judy James of TJ's Glass Creations in Ste. Genevieve recently visited the seventh grade at Perry County Middle School.
"They told a little background story of how they started this venture, and then demonstrated how they make their beautiful glass figurines," said teacher Karen Bahr.
Since they were in Mrs. Bahr's Science room, they also discussed a couple of science topics -- how conduction relates to the glass and different metals they use, and how adding oxygen helps regulate the temperatures needed to melt the glass at 3,000 degrees.
Travis explained the various tools that he made himself in order to form the intricate designs, and he used different colors of glass to make a rose with green petals. Judy also showed the group how she uses stains to create colorful iris and hummingbirds.
"Travis and Judy surprised us by making 40 colorful fish for lucky students to choose from as a little memento to take home," Bahr said.
The students showed great character during the demonstration, and the seventh Grade teachers expressed their deep gratitude for the James's generosity and kindness. To find out more about their beautiful birds, flowers, and other creations, the James' can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.