- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)17
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Abbey Road Church hosts fair trade market
Abbey Road Christian Church is hosting Plowsharing International Fair Trade Market from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 8, on its campus at 2411 Abbey Road in Cape Girardeau. Handmade items from the third world country will be sold with proceeds going back to those countries. Items on sale include jewelry, knit items, wall hangings, ceramics, nativity sets, food mixes, toys, wind chimes, table linens, pillows and more. For more information, call 335-3422 or 450-5354.
Night for Nolan Weber held at Culver's
Culver's in Cape Girardeau is hosting a share night for Nolan Weber from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. The restaurant will donate 10 percent of proceeds to help Weber raise funds for a trip to the U.S. Paralympics camp in San Diego later this month. The Paralympics camp will classify Weber and give him opportunities to compete with other athletes. For more information, call 334-1888
St. Denis plans Wonderland of Treasures
St. Denis Catholic School will hold its 10th annual Wonderland of Treasures sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 1, at its campus, 105 N. Winchester St. Proceeds will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. Featured items will included rafa knives, Pampered Chef, Stanley tools and more. There will be a 50/50 drawing, raffle and door prizes throughout the day. Breakfast items, homemade chicken noodle soup, chili, drinks, desserts and more will be available. For more information, call 573-545-3017.
Magnolia Manor Holiday House scheduled
Magnolia Manor, of Cairo, Ill., will host its 60th annual Holiday House tours Friday through Dec. 1 from 1 to 4 p.m. daily. Dates are available to attend the Holiday House luncheons. Reservations are required and can be made by calling the Magnolia Manor at 618-734-0201.
Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis
Fitness Plus is hosting the Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis at 7:45 a.m. Dec. 8 at Fitness Plus, 150 S. Mount Auburn Road, entrance 8. The event will include a 5k run, one-mile walk and a tot trot starting and finishing at Fitness Plus. Registration forms are available at Fitness Plus. For more information, please call Fitness Plus at 331-3355.
Church holding Hurricane Sandy relief drive
Christ Church of the Heartland of Cape Girardeau is collecting items to be taken to Hurricane Sandy victims on Thanksgiving. Organizers have requested the following items:Walmart and Target gift cards, bottled water, blankets, canned goods and can openers, clothing, diapers, wipes, baby necessities, trash bags, Bibles and toiletries. Items can be dropped off from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday and 9 a.m. to noon Wednesday at the church office, 720 Bertling Ave.
Christmas Country Church Tour planned
More than 20 churches in Cape Girardeau, Perry and Bollinger counties will deck their halls and invite visitors inside for Christmas music and refreshments next month. Tours will be from 3 to 9 p.m. Dec. 21 and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 22. Churches can be toured in any order. Churches included in this year's tour are:
* Peace Lutheran Church: Friedenberg, Perry County Road 302
* Zion Lutheran Church: Longtown, 6483 S. U.S. 61
* Grace Lutheran Church: Uniontown, 53 Grace Lane
* St. Joseph Catholic Church: Apple Creek, St. Joseph Lane
* St. Maurus Catholic Church: Biehle, 10198 Route B
* Trinity Lutheran Church: Friedheim, 3700 County Road 415 (Friday only)
* First Baptist Church: Oak Ridge, 4154 Route E
* Sargent's Chapel: Sedgewickville, County Road 234
* Caney Fork Baptist Church: Off Route B, County Road 472 (Friday only)
* St. John's United Church of Christ: Fruitland, 781 Route FF
* St. John's Lutheran Church: Pocahontas, 158 Little St.
* Pleasant Hill: Fruitland, County Road 543, 0.8 mile east of U.S. 61
* Trinity Lutheran Church: Shawneetown, 175 Shawneetown Road
* Immanuel Lutheran Church: New Wells, 320 County Road 516
* Trinity Lutheran Church: Altenburg, 57 Church St.
* Immanuel Lutheran Church: Altenburg, 8234 Main St.
* Concordia Lutheran Church: Frohna, 10172 Route C
* Brazeau Presbyterian Church: Brazeau, Church Lane
* Bethlehem Baptist Church: Crosstown, 160 Perry County Road 350
* Apple Creek Presbyterian: Pocahontas, junction of county roads 532 and 543, 1/2 mile east of Pocahontas
* New Salem Methodist: Daisy, Route AA, 1/2 mile west of Route B
* Zion Lutheran: Pocahontas, County Road 532
For more information, visit www.immanuelnewwells.org.
Bank to match donations to food bank
Bank of America will provide matching donations to the Southeast Missouri Food Bank for the "Give a Meal" program. The Bank of America Charitable Foundation will contribute $2 for every $1 donated online at bankofamerica.com/give, up to a total match of $1.5 million. Donors are able to direct their contributions to the Southeast Missouri Food Bank.