- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)5
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
ORAN, Mo. -- Helen C. Wright Harris, 99, of Oran passed away Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2012, at Chaffee Nursing Center in Chaffee, Mo.
She was born Oct. 13, 1913, in Oran, to Mack and Ethel Henley Wright. She was a daycare provider many years and took care of several children whom she loved dearly.
Helen graduated from Oran High School in 1931. She and John Melton Harris were married Dec. 23, 1932. He preceded her in death Aug. 25, 1979.
She was a member of First Baptist Church in Oran and Darcus Sunday school class. She also served as treasurer of Golden Agers Senior Group, was a member of Morley Chapter Eastern Star 342, served as worthy matron in 1965 and was secretary 20 years and past president 15 years of Oran Senior Citizens.
Survivors include two sons, Wesley (Barbara) Harris and Glen Harris of Oran; a sister, Lila Brannock of Sikeston, Mo.; four grandchildren, Niki Jo (David) Hamm of Benton, Mo., Robin (Mark) Hill of Gordonville, Missy (Derrick) Bruce of Scott City, Jason Harris of Oran; five great-grandchildren, Candice (Eric) O'Hare of Jackson, Carmen (Josh) Diebold of Oran, Zachary (Sara) Hamm of Huntsville, Ala., Kalyn Bruce and Keegan Bruce of Scott City; two great-great-grandchildren, Tate Diebold of Oran and Hudson O'Hare of Jackson.
She also was preceded in death by a brother, John Wright.
Friends may call from 10 a.m. until time of service today at Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Oran.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. today at the chapel, with the Rev. Donnie Ford officiating. Burial will be in Forest Hills Memorial Gardens near Morley.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to First Baptist Church kitchen committee.