- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)2
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Governor cuts $146 million, colleges take hit (1/17/17)
Throughout the Christmas season there are many requests for donations, including toys, winter clothing and monetary support. But one giving tradition we hope you also consider is the Salvation Army's red kettle campaign. This seasonal fundraiser features bell ringers outside several retailers, and some kettles already are in place.
Locations to donate include Walmart in Cape Girardeau, Jackson and Perryville; Save-A-Lot in Cape Girardeau and Jackson; Sam's Club, Sears Grand, Dollar General, Schnucks, Food Giant, West Park Mall, Macy's, J.C. Penney, Walgreens, Big Lots, Kmart and Hobby Lobby in Cape Girardeau; and Buchheit's in Jackson. All of these locations will have the buckets ready after Thanksgiving. The organization's fundraising goal is $320,000.
Another holiday project with the Salvation Army is its Thanksgiving Day dinner. Food or paper product donations may be dropped off in Cape Girardeau at Hutson's Fine Furniture, 43 South Main St., or the Salvation Army, 701 Good Hope St.
Big River Telephone is holding its annual Holiday Turkey Drive through Dec. 21. Vouchers may be purchased at Schnucks and the Big River Telephone office in Cape Girardeau and redeemed at Schnucks. The donations benefit the Salvation Army's Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.
Thank you to all who help feed the hungry throughout the year, and particularly during the holidays. May you be blessed in your giving.