- Two men face charges in Cape prostitution sting (5/28/17)
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)4
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Rabies confirmed in Cape County after person bitten by bat (5/26/17)
- Man with prior sex convictions charged with abuse of a child 10 years ago (5/25/17)2
- New features at Cape Splash geared for kids; revenue has exceeded costs by more than $200K (5/24/17)1
Throughout the Christmas season there are many requests for donations, including toys, winter clothing and monetary support. But one giving tradition we hope you also consider is the Salvation Army's red kettle campaign. This seasonal fundraiser features bell ringers outside several retailers, and some kettles already are in place.
Locations to donate include Walmart in Cape Girardeau, Jackson and Perryville; Save-A-Lot in Cape Girardeau and Jackson; Sam's Club, Sears Grand, Dollar General, Schnucks, Food Giant, West Park Mall, Macy's, J.C. Penney, Walgreens, Big Lots, Kmart and Hobby Lobby in Cape Girardeau; and Buchheit's in Jackson. All of these locations will have the buckets ready after Thanksgiving. The organization's fundraising goal is $320,000.
Another holiday project with the Salvation Army is its Thanksgiving Day dinner. Food or paper product donations may be dropped off in Cape Girardeau at Hutson's Fine Furniture, 43 South Main St., or the Salvation Army, 701 Good Hope St.
Big River Telephone is holding its annual Holiday Turkey Drive through Dec. 21. Vouchers may be purchased at Schnucks and the Big River Telephone office in Cape Girardeau and redeemed at Schnucks. The donations benefit the Salvation Army's Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.
Thank you to all who help feed the hungry throughout the year, and particularly during the holidays. May you be blessed in your giving.