Out of the past 11/15/12

Thursday, November 15, 2012

1987

Cape Rock Church of God is celebrating its 15th anniversary; special speaker at the morning worship service is the Rev. Wendell Smith, state overseer of Missouri; the church was established in 1972 under the leadership of the Rev. and Mrs. Kenneth Smith and was called the Cape Girardeau Church of God.

The Rev. Elwin K. Haseltine is installed as the new pastor of First Church of God in Cape Girardeau; he was pastor of First Church of God in Cushing, Okla., the past seven years.

1962

Bob Davidson of Herculaneum, Mo., and Ellis Craig of Cahokia, Ill., are working atop the 205-foot smokestack of the Missouri Utilities Co. power plant in Cape Girardeau; they are removing the top 15 feet of the stack, which has deteriorated, and will make necessary repairs to the big concrete unit.

An organization to sell up to $200,000 in stock in the Greater Cape Girardeau Development Corp. for the purchase and development of an industrial park continues to take shape; heading the two sales divisions are L.W. Simmons and Earl Kirchoff.

1937

Pointing out that transportation of such articles as coal and food is a big item, and that much of the relief administration must be in Cape Girardeau, a Cape Girardeau delegation asks the County Court to attempt to work out a plan to keep the main Social Security-relief office there; it has been proposed to move the office to Jackson.

City Commissioner L.H. Butler is planning to move the magnolia tree from the yard of the old List property at Broadway and Lorimier Street to Courthouse Park; the tree will be dug up and transplanted between the memorial fountain and courthouse.

1912

Meyer Brothers, the enterprising young butchers of Broadway, sold nearly $1,000 worth of hides this week, getting 15 cents a pound, the highest price ever paid in Cape Girardeau for salted hides.

At a meeting of the County Court and the mayor and council of Cape Girardeau in Jackson in the morning, three commissioners are appointed for the special road district that was approved by voters recently; appointed are Otto Kochtitzky of Cape Girardeau, Thomas H. Lewis of near Gordonville and F.W. Bertling Jr. of near Cape Girardeau.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: