- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Judge hears Mosby's formerly suppressed confession at Robinson hearing (8/9/17)
- $34 million student housing project on schedule, developer says (8/14/17)2
Wanner named new commander of 880th Engineer Co
First Lt. Robert Wanner, of De Soto, has been appointed the new commander for the Missouri National Guard's 880th Engineer Haul Team in Perryville.
During the ceremony, the unit guidon was passed to Wanner to symbolize the transfer of authority and responsibility.
"This is my first position as an officer but I'm looking forward to the challenge," said Wanner told the Soldiers of the 880th Engineer Team.
Wanner's military experience will be a great asset to the company, said Lt. Col. Ed Gargas, commander of the 1140th Engineer Battalion.
"Lt. Wanner is a young leader with a lot of potential and energy," said Gargas. "He's highly motivated and he faces challenges head on."
Wanner enlisted in the Missouri National Guard in 2001 and served as a noncommissioned officer until receiving his officer commission in September 2012. He deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2005 -- 2006.
Wanner has served with the 220th Engineer Company out of Festus and he hopes as commander, Wanner can build the relationship between the two units, which have similar missions and skill sets, said Gargas.
Wanner will also gain a lot of knowledge from the Soldiers of the 880th, said Gargas.
"The Soldiers of the 880th are a very welcoming and experienced unit and will give him the experience to become a better officer," said Gargas.
Wanner is also looking forward to serving with his new Soldiers.
"I've heard a lot of good thing about the 880th," said Wanner. "They're a very close, family unit and I'm glad to be a part of that."
Wanner is supported in his military career by his wife, Lisa.
For pictures of the change of command ceremony visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/missouriguard/sets/72157631945730617/
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, please call 1-800-GoGuard or visit www.moguard.com and our social media sites: www.facebook.com/Missouri.National.Guard; www.twitter.com/Missouri_NG; www.youtube.com/MoNationalGuard; www.myspace.com/missouri_ng; www.flickr.com/photos/missouriguard; www.blog.moguard.com; www.pinterest.com/monationalguard/