- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Jackson board OKs insurance increase
A new health insurance plan that contains a slight increase in the cost of premiums for the Jackson R-II School District was considered and unanimously approved by the Jackson School Board at its meeting Tuesday night.
According to Superintendent Dr. Ron Anderson, the district's annual health insurance plan renewal, effective Jan. 1, 2013, will present to the district an increase of 5 percent over the cost of the district's 2012 plan. There is no rate increase for the district's dental insurance plan renewal for 2013.
"It's the best that can be hoped for these days," Anderson said. "In most cases the 5 percent increase will be covered by the district."
The new health and dental insurance plans were viewed as exceptional by school board president Terri Tomlin.
* The Jackson school district received a "clean bill of health" during its 2011-2012 audit report.
Darrell Saunder, a CPA from a firm in St. Louis that conducted the district's audit, announced there was $43 million in revenue for the 2011-2012 school year against disbursements of $40 million.
The audit report will likely be approved at the next school board meeting.
* The board voted unanimously to pay more than $766,000 in expenses for the previous month.
* The district is accepting declarations of candidacy from any person interested in running for school board in the April election. Candidates may file at the board of education office beginning Dec. 11. The filing period will end Jan. 15, 2013. There are two positions available for three-year terms.
Pertinent address: 614 E. Adams St., Jackson, Mo.