- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Mo. minimum wage to rise to $7.35 an hour in 2013
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Missouri's minimum wage will rise by a dime to $7.35 an hour in 2013.
For the past several years, Missouri has followed the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. That's because the federal rate was equal to or greater than the state's minimum, which is adjusted annually based on the cost of living. But inflation has now pushed Missouri's minimum wage above the federal standard. The new wage is posted on the website of the state labor department. The Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry expressed concern Tuesday that Missouri's new minimum wage could put it at a competitive disadvantage. It said Illinois will be the only neighboring state with a higher minimum wage than Missouri. The chamber wants legislators to repeal the automatic inflationary adjustment to Missouri's wage.