- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Two men face charges in Cape prostitution sting (5/28/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Man allegedly dragged ex-girlfriend with truck
A Cape Girardeau woman reported serious injuries after she was dragged down the street with her arm stuck in the bed rail of a truck being driven by an ex-boyfriend, according to court documents.
Jerry Lee Dye, 51, of Oran, Mo., has been charged with felony assault for the incident in which he "recklessly caused serious injury" to the victim by dragging her with the motor vehicle he was operating, the court filing said. Dye, in charges filed by prosecutors Wednesday, also is charged with felony theft because is accused of stealing her phone.
The victim told police from her hospital bed that she had been walking on Bloomfield Street and texting a friend on her cellphone, according to a probable-cause statement filed by Cape Girardeau police patrolman Matthew Cotner. When she heard a horn, she turned and saw Dye, an ex-boyfriend, in his GMC pickup. Dye asked her about the texts and, when he wasn't happy with the answer, began to "kick and hit" the woman, the statement said.
Police say following a short "scuffle," Dye snatched the phone, put it in the toolbox of his truck and began to pull away. The victim, according to the statement, attempted to grab the cellphone before Dye pulled away and got caught in the bed rail. The court documents say that when Dye noticed the victim was stuck, he sped up and yelled obscenities at her. The victim lost consciousness. Doctors told police the woman had several injuries including a brain bleed.
An arrest warrant has been issued for Dye, who will be held on a $50,000 cash-only bond when he's arrested.
Bloomfield Street, Cape Girardeau, Mo.