- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- Chaffee City Council fires officer facing criminal charge (7/23/17)1
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- More details emerge in Perryville police-misconduct case (7/21/17)
- Cape homicide victim identified (7/21/17)
- Painted-rock hunts catch fire in Cape area (7/20/17)
Man allegedly dragged ex-girlfriend with truck
A Cape Girardeau woman reported serious injuries after she was dragged down the street with her arm stuck in the bed rail of a truck being driven by an ex-boyfriend, according to court documents.
Jerry Lee Dye, 51, of Oran, Mo., has been charged with felony assault for the incident in which he "recklessly caused serious injury" to the victim by dragging her with the motor vehicle he was operating, the court filing said. Dye, in charges filed by prosecutors Wednesday, also is charged with felony theft because is accused of stealing her phone.
The victim told police from her hospital bed that she had been walking on Bloomfield Street and texting a friend on her cellphone, according to a probable-cause statement filed by Cape Girardeau police patrolman Matthew Cotner. When she heard a horn, she turned and saw Dye, an ex-boyfriend, in his GMC pickup. Dye asked her about the texts and, when he wasn't happy with the answer, began to "kick and hit" the woman, the statement said.
Police say following a short "scuffle," Dye snatched the phone, put it in the toolbox of his truck and began to pull away. The victim, according to the statement, attempted to grab the cellphone before Dye pulled away and got caught in the bed rail. The court documents say that when Dye noticed the victim was stuck, he sped up and yelled obscenities at her. The victim lost consciousness. Doctors told police the woman had several injuries including a brain bleed.
An arrest warrant has been issued for Dye, who will be held on a $50,000 cash-only bond when he's arrested.
Bloomfield Street, Cape Girardeau, Mo.