- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
CHAFFEE, Mo. -- Larry Dean "Sarge" Schlegel, 75, of Chaffee passed away Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012, at the family home.
He was born June 1, 1937, in Cape Girardeau, to Edwin P. and Vesta R. Slinkard Schlegel. Larry married Alice Crafton, mother of Jon Jeffry in 1960, and Bonnie Musgrave Neal on Nov. 5, 1966. She preceded him in death Jan. 8, 1978. He then married Elaine Schmitt Daniel on Dec. 3, 1987.
He was a machine gunner and M.P. in the United States Marine Corps four years.
Larry retired in 1997 as a lineman with Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. in Advance, Mo., where he worked 39 years. He was a former Advance city councilman, member of Lifetime Telephone Pioneers Communication, Workers of America and Chaffee Elks Lodge 1810.
He refereed MSHAA boys and girls basketball games many years and also worked with Advance Little League Baseball.
Survivors include his wife, Elaine of the home; a son, Jon Jeffry (Sally) Schlegel of Atlanta; two stepdaughters, Michelle Daniel of Cape Girardeau, Rachael Daniel of Merriam, Kan.; a brother, Charles Schlegel of Cape Girardeau; two sisters, Helen Maintz and Rebecca Illers of Cape Girardeau; four grandchildren, Ashley (Don) Petolick of Omaha, Neb., Tamra Schlegel of Valencia, Calif., Jon Schlegel Jr. of Isla Vista, Calif., and James Schlegel, a student in Argentina; and a great-grandchild, Donald Jon Petolick of Omaha.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. today at St. Lawrence Catholic Church in New Hamburg, Mo., with the Rev. Michael Casteel as celebrant. Burial will be in St. Lawrence Cemetery, with full military honors presented by the Missouri Honor Guard.