Fire destroys Cape County home

Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Cape Girardeau County home was deemed a total loss after an overnight fire that likely began in a fireplace.

Crews were dispatched to the 2,500 square foot home on Haertling Lane off County Road 645 just before midnight Wednesday, said Dwayne Kirchhoff, chief of the East County Fire Protection District.

Kirchhoff said the owner heard popping sounds coming from the main-floor fireplace shortly after he went to bed and discovered a fire when he entered another room.

The man alerted his wife and daughter and all three were able to make it out of the house safely.

Mutual aid was received from four fire departments and there were nearly 30 firefighters on scene overnight, Kirchhoff said.

Crews were at the home until around 4:45 a.m. Wednesday. More than 20,000 gallons of water was needed to extinguish the fire. Kirchhoff said the home was newly built and the family had lived in it only around three months.

Pertinent address:

County Road 645, Cape Girardeau, MO

Map of pertinent addresses

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: