- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Democrat Kander wins Mo. secretary of state race
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - Democratic Missouri House member Jason Kander has won the race for Missouri secretary of state.
Kander beat fellow state lawmaker Shane Schoeller early Wednesday and will succeed Democratic Secretary of State Robin Carnahan, who opted not to run for a third term.
The secretary of state is responsible for overseeing Missouri elections and is responsible for the state archives and state library.
Kander is an attorney from Kansas City and first was elected to the state Legislature in 2008. He announced his bid for secretary of state shortly after Carnahan announced she would not run.
Schoeller was elected in 2006 and served in the leadership for the Republican-led House.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.