- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Democrat Kander wins Mo. secretary of state race
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - Democratic Missouri House member Jason Kander has won the race for Missouri secretary of state.
Kander beat fellow state lawmaker Shane Schoeller early Wednesday and will succeed Democratic Secretary of State Robin Carnahan, who opted not to run for a third term.
The secretary of state is responsible for overseeing Missouri elections and is responsible for the state archives and state library.
Kander is an attorney from Kansas City and first was elected to the state Legislature in 2008. He announced his bid for secretary of state shortly after Carnahan announced she would not run.
Schoeller was elected in 2006 and served in the leadership for the Republican-led House.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.