- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)2
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
- More details emerge in Perryville police-misconduct case (7/21/17)
Library dedication set for Nov. 1 at p.m.
Cape Central Junior High School's (CJHS) new library will be dedicated during a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Thursday at 1 p.m. The Board of Education voted unanimously in August to name the facility "Louis Lorimier Library" in honor of the French-Canadian credited with founding Cape Girardeau. In 1820, Lorimier deeded property to Cape Girardeau for the establishment of a public school. This property became known as "Schultz School." As the result of the sale of Schultz School in 2008, a permanent trust was established which reflected the value of Lorimier's contribution. On March 28, 2011, the Board of Education approved a resolution allowing the use of the Lorimier Trust to assist in funding the construction of the library. Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jim Welker said the dedication is free and open to the public. Featured speaker will be Dr. Frank Nickell, Professor of History at Southeast Missouri State University. The CJHS Orchestra, directed by Steven Schaffner, is scheduled to perform. CJHS Principal Carla Fee said parking is available in the school's front parking lot, as well as on Caruthers Avenue. CJHS Librarian Libby Wilson said two book signings by local authors are on the agenda and refreshments will be provided by Montgomery Bank.