- Two men face charges in Cape prostitution sting (5/28/17)
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)4
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Rabies confirmed in Cape County after person bitten by bat (5/26/17)
- Man with prior sex convictions charged with abuse of a child 10 years ago (5/25/17)2
- New features at Cape Splash geared for kids; revenue has exceeded costs by more than $200K (5/24/17)1
Library dedication set for Nov. 1 at p.m.
Cape Central Junior High School's (CJHS) new library will be dedicated during a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Thursday at 1 p.m. The Board of Education voted unanimously in August to name the facility "Louis Lorimier Library" in honor of the French-Canadian credited with founding Cape Girardeau. In 1820, Lorimier deeded property to Cape Girardeau for the establishment of a public school. This property became known as "Schultz School." As the result of the sale of Schultz School in 2008, a permanent trust was established which reflected the value of Lorimier's contribution. On March 28, 2011, the Board of Education approved a resolution allowing the use of the Lorimier Trust to assist in funding the construction of the library. Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jim Welker said the dedication is free and open to the public. Featured speaker will be Dr. Frank Nickell, Professor of History at Southeast Missouri State University. The CJHS Orchestra, directed by Steven Schaffner, is scheduled to perform. CJHS Principal Carla Fee said parking is available in the school's front parking lot, as well as on Caruthers Avenue. CJHS Librarian Libby Wilson said two book signings by local authors are on the agenda and refreshments will be provided by Montgomery Bank.