- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
Library dedication set for Nov. 1 at p.m.
Cape Central Junior High School's (CJHS) new library will be dedicated during a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Thursday at 1 p.m. The Board of Education voted unanimously in August to name the facility "Louis Lorimier Library" in honor of the French-Canadian credited with founding Cape Girardeau. In 1820, Lorimier deeded property to Cape Girardeau for the establishment of a public school. This property became known as "Schultz School." As the result of the sale of Schultz School in 2008, a permanent trust was established which reflected the value of Lorimier's contribution. On March 28, 2011, the Board of Education approved a resolution allowing the use of the Lorimier Trust to assist in funding the construction of the library. Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jim Welker said the dedication is free and open to the public. Featured speaker will be Dr. Frank Nickell, Professor of History at Southeast Missouri State University. The CJHS Orchestra, directed by Steven Schaffner, is scheduled to perform. CJHS Principal Carla Fee said parking is available in the school's front parking lot, as well as on Caruthers Avenue. CJHS Librarian Libby Wilson said two book signings by local authors are on the agenda and refreshments will be provided by Montgomery Bank.