- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Library dedication set for Nov. 1 at p.m.
Cape Central Junior High School's (CJHS) new library will be dedicated during a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Thursday at 1 p.m. The Board of Education voted unanimously in August to name the facility "Louis Lorimier Library" in honor of the French-Canadian credited with founding Cape Girardeau. In 1820, Lorimier deeded property to Cape Girardeau for the establishment of a public school. This property became known as "Schultz School." As the result of the sale of Schultz School in 2008, a permanent trust was established which reflected the value of Lorimier's contribution. On March 28, 2011, the Board of Education approved a resolution allowing the use of the Lorimier Trust to assist in funding the construction of the library. Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jim Welker said the dedication is free and open to the public. Featured speaker will be Dr. Frank Nickell, Professor of History at Southeast Missouri State University. The CJHS Orchestra, directed by Steven Schaffner, is scheduled to perform. CJHS Principal Carla Fee said parking is available in the school's front parking lot, as well as on Caruthers Avenue. CJHS Librarian Libby Wilson said two book signings by local authors are on the agenda and refreshments will be provided by Montgomery Bank.