- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Candidate questionnaire: Dave Spence
NAME: Dave Spence
PLACE OF BIRTH: Saint Louis, Missouri
SPOUSE, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Suzie Spence -- Spouse
Logan, Tierney, Paige,Keeley
B.S. University of Missouri-Columbia
OCCUPATION: Small Businessman
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART:
Alpha Packaging, Legacy Pharmaceutical Packaging
PUBLIC OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT; GIVE DATES:
WHAT CAN THE GOVERNOR DO TO ATTRACT MORE JOBS AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT TO MISSOURI?
We need to create a climate for job growth in Missouri and to do that, the governor must be in the front line attracting businesses to the state, keeping our companies within our borders, and working with the legislature to develop tools to do just that. That means eliminating burdensome regulations and protecting businesses -- large and small -- from frivolous lawsuits. That will lead to economic growth, more jobs, and more prosperity for all Missourians.
DOES THE STATE NEED MORE REFORM OF ITS TAX CREDIT SYSTEM?
Missouri's tax credit system has spiraled out of control and needs to be comprehensively reformed. I support a moratorium on tax credits in our state until such time as we determine which credits, if any, are providing a positive return on investments for Missouri taxpayers. Government should not pick winners and losers, and currently that is how our tax credit system is performing.
SHOULD THE LEGISLATURE TAKE INITIATIVE TO ESTABLISH A USE TAX FOR VEHICLE PURCHASES, OR SHOULD THE DECISION BE LEFT TO COUNTIES?
The Supreme Court decision threw out a funding mechanism almost ninety percent of counties and municipalities across Missouri have used for more than 60-years. I would have signed H.B. 1329 because it's not a tax increase and it simply maintained a longstanding local taxing decision. The Supreme Court decision incentivizes Missourians to shop out of state for large household purchases such as cars or boats, which is harmful to Missouri job creators and local governments.
MOVING FORWARD, HOW DO WE BEST BALANCE THE STATE BUDGET IN COMING YEARS?
By creating more jobs. I believe our budget problems are a direct result of the unacceptably high unemployment of the Nixon administration. As governor I would get the economy growing and create an environment where job creators can thrive. We need more people working and broadening the tax base. Taxing productivity will not jumpstart the economy.
The Governor is the CEO of the state and it's time we have a proven job creator in that role. Jay Nixon and Barack Obama want four more years but their failed policies have made us worse off than we were four years ago. I'm ready to lead and enact policies that will make Missouri the most business friendly state in the country. Together we can chart a course to a brighter more prosperous Missouri.