- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Area men charged in sexual abuse of minors
Two area men have been charged in separate sex abuse cases involving children, with police saying in court documents that one turned himself in and the other admitted to the act under questioning.
Gary K. Dupont, 37, of Jackson is facing felony charges that allege he had sexual contact with a girl younger than 14 years old. Dupont is being held on a $75,000 bond at the Cape Girardeau County Jail.
Delantae Vanquez Hill, no age given, of Cape Girardeau faces charges of statutory rape and sodomy and was being held on a $50,000 bond.
If either make bond, conditions for each include maintaining a distance from the alleged victims and any other minor children.
According to a probable-cause statement prepared by Jackson police, Dupont informed law enforcment he wanted to turn himself in. He was located and brought in for questioning, when he confessed, police said, to molesting a 9-year-old girl. Dupont told police he was "remorseful," the statement says, and that he had told the victim's mother.
In court documents involving Hill's case, police say Hill admitted to the charges that involved an 11-year-old girl.
Both incidents were alleged to have taken place earlier this month.