- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Snuggling in style
Sweater-y cable knits, textural weaves, rich faux furs ... this fall, throws are showing up in all the retailers' collections.
Basically small couch blankets, throws set the stage for comfy days spent on a comfy chair cocooned in a comfy -- well, you get the idea.
What makes a throw a must-have is its wrapability. It shouldn't be too weighty and should have a soft, pliant feel. Today's woolens and blends are very different from the scratchy, itchy, heavier versions of the past. And the new synthetics are a tactile wonderland of supple, velvety plushness. In a great color that coordinates with your furniture, a snuggly throw is a functional, stylish accessory.
Elaine Griffin, a contributing design editor to Better Homes & Gardens, recommends restraint when using this decorative element. "Solid colors and discreet patterns add style to living rooms and dens; leave the boldly striped and patterned throws for across the foot of your bed or in children's spaces," she advises.
But she also encourages a little color play.
"Throws are guilt-free occasions to indulge in the season's trendiest colors," she says. If you can't commit to a burgundy or citron wall, consider a throw in those hues.
Karma Living's got a fun, honeycombed Indian cotton throw with pompom trim, available in a kaleidoscope of playful colors. Homegoods has a big selection of luscious faux furs in chocolate, mink and ivory, sure to get the family pet vying for some cozy real estate. The off-price retailer also has a reversible black and gray fleece throw printed with the invitation "Wrap Around Me." Appliqued flowers add extra flair to a fuzzy confection of organic-hued wool and acrylic. And to evoke the winter cabin vibe, there's a homey reindeer and snowflake patterned throw in cranberry and white.
Those looking for sumptuous, high-end throws might turn to the "Luxe Lodge" fall collection from Schumacher, which includes the Bancroft throw in a windowpane-check Scottish wool, available in sable, malt or oxford gray.