- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)8
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)14
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Cape Receives Tree Maintenance Grant
The City of Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department was recently awarded a $10,000 grant from the Missouri Department of Conservation to assist with improving the City's tree resources. Part of the funding will help to provide a tree survey for the City's Capaha Park, which is currently undergoing a Master Plan study for future park improvements. In addition, funding will be provided for public education regarding the benefit of trees to the community.
There will be three, free, public workshops themed "For the Love of Trees," in partnership with the Conservation Center and Southeast Missouri State University Horticultural Department. Each workshop will offer something different and fun for middle school students to adults.
Workshops will be held on Saturdays, Feb. 2, March 2, and April 6. The April workshop will celebrate Arbor Day and Friends of Parks Day in Cape Girardeau.
The only charge is for materials, which is $15.
T.R.I.M. (Tree Resource Improvement and Maintenance) is a competitive, cost-share program provided and administered by the Missouri Department of Conservation in cooperation with the Missouri Community Forestry Council and the U.S. Forest Service. The purpose of the T.R.I.M. program is to provide financial assistance for the management, improvement or conservation of community forests.
For more information on the T.R.I.M. Program and Grant, visit mdc.mo.gov and search T.R.I.M. Program. For more information on the programs, contact the City of Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department at 573-339-6340.