- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Ribbon cuttings at Franklin Elementary & CMS
Friday, October 19, 2012, Cape Girardeau Public Schools will celebrate the completion of two projects of the 2010 bond issue: an addition to Central Middle School and a replacement of the old Franklin Elementary, foreground, in the picture above, as it looked on January 19, 2012. The new Franklin Elementary, a state-of-the art, 50,000-square-foot facility, graces the old school's playground at Themis and Louisiana Streets. The bond issue provided for improvements at eight of the District's ten campuses. Cape Central Middle School received a new breezeway connecting the main building to the gym and providing office and conference areas. Other upgrades include a new boiler, temperature controls, new safety railing on the main stairs, security cameras, exterior security doors, fire alarm enhancements and additional parking.
The Franklin Elementary ribbon cutting is set for 9 a.m. Friday. Principal Dr. Rhonda Dunham said visitor parking will be available in the drive-thru in front of the school. The Central Middle School ribbon cutting is set for 9:30 a.m. in front of the new addition near the corner of Thilenius and Caruthers Streets. Principal Rex Crosnoe said the most convenient parking for visitors will be along Caruthers Street in front of the new addition.