- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Sporting goods retailer to build in Cape
Work is beginning on a new $1.8 million retail development in Cape Girardeau, located between Sam's and Kohls off Siemers Drive.
Academy Sports + Outdoors will build a 71,680 square-foot store at 270 Shirley Drive, according to a building permit application filed with the City of Cape Girardeau.
The Texas-based outdoor lifestyle retailer offers hunting, fishing, and camping equipment along with sports and leisure products, footwear, apparel and more.
"We're excited about it, and it's an awesome addition to help diversify Cape Girardeau's retail offerings," said John Mehner, president and CEO of the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce.
They have more than 140 stores across the U.S. in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.
Academy Sports + Outdoors has locations in Joplin and Springfield.
The property is owned by Drury Development Corp., based in St. Louis.
270 Shirley Drive, Cape Girardeau, Mo.