- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)10
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Breast cancer suvivor stories: Sister Maureen Elfrink
Age diagnosed: The first time, in 1991, I was 55. I had a mastectomy at that time. After that, I did use a prosthesis and did not have chemo or radiation, but did take tamoxifen for five years. ... I was faithful to having mammograms every year, and they detected a suspicious spot last October. It came back in April. Saint Francis had just gotten new mammography machine and discovered the spot had grown. I had a biopsy and it came back positive. I had a mastectomy and am in the process of reconstruction at age 76. I didn't need chemo or radiation either time.
The hardest part: The shock of finding out I did have cancer, and then to have mastectomy. I wasn't sure what that was all about. Reach to Recovery came in 1991 and 2012 and really helped. (Side note: Elfrink is training to become a volunteer for Reach to Recovery herself. All of the program's volunteers are breast cancer survivors, so they understand what others are going through.)
Advice for others: Be sure to do monthly breast exams. Be faithful with your mammograms. They're very important: That's how my cancer was discovered. With surgery, what we have in Cape Girardeau, is resources for care. In my experience, friends and family really aided in my recovery. Keep a positive attitude and enjoy life. Be willing to help others.