- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Three out, including city administrator, at Scott City; two resigned, one fired (3/16/17)1
- Several tournaments already booked at Sportsplex (3/16/17)6
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)10
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)21
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
Breast cancer suvivor stories: Sister Maureen Elfrink
Age diagnosed: The first time, in 1991, I was 55. I had a mastectomy at that time. After that, I did use a prosthesis and did not have chemo or radiation, but did take tamoxifen for five years. ... I was faithful to having mammograms every year, and they detected a suspicious spot last October. It came back in April. Saint Francis had just gotten new mammography machine and discovered the spot had grown. I had a biopsy and it came back positive. I had a mastectomy and am in the process of reconstruction at age 76. I didn't need chemo or radiation either time.
The hardest part: The shock of finding out I did have cancer, and then to have mastectomy. I wasn't sure what that was all about. Reach to Recovery came in 1991 and 2012 and really helped. (Side note: Elfrink is training to become a volunteer for Reach to Recovery herself. All of the program's volunteers are breast cancer survivors, so they understand what others are going through.)
Advice for others: Be sure to do monthly breast exams. Be faithful with your mammograms. They're very important: That's how my cancer was discovered. With surgery, what we have in Cape Girardeau, is resources for care. In my experience, friends and family really aided in my recovery. Keep a positive attitude and enjoy life. Be willing to help others.